Though today’s world is moving out of traditional data center hosting approach and started adopting more on the cloud services but there are still some big enterprises who wants to go slow and manage their own data on premise and planning to put the new expansion of their data into cloud thereby creating a sort of hybrid structure with mix of on premise and public or community cloud.
This write up is for those enterprise and techs who are still managing their own data & database in a HA and fault tolerant structure in their on premise data center.
In traditional database backup of native SQL backup, we generally follow the manual backup or tool based backup over the network and there are additional license cost involved for using tool based backup.Replica Rolex
Fake Rolex Watches For Sale
Challenges of using native SQL backup strategy:
- The backup takes longer time over the network and there are situation where backup window may extends and hits the production hours and impacting the DB and app performance.
- Consumes huge storage space or disks which is not cost effective.
- Resiliency can be slower as restoration of huge data and recovery of DB takes longer time.
With HP StoreOnce DB plugin that comes as free with StoreOnce storage, you can utilize the power of deduplication sorting out the above challenges and with additional benefits as illustrated below –
- HP StoreOnce deduplication: store more data on disk HP StoreOnce deduplication reduces the disk space required to store backup data sets without impacting backup performance. Retaining more backup data on disk longer, enables greater data accessibility for rapid restore of lost or corrupt data and reduces downtime. Deduplication ratios are strongly influenced by two factors—data change rate and backup data retention periods. Low data change rates and data retained for longer periods of time yield higher deduplication ratios.
- Deduplication-enabled replication: HP StoreOnce deduplication is the technology enabler for HP StoreOnce deduplication-enabled replication, which allows fully automated replication over low-bandwidth links to a DR site, giving remote office/branch office (ROBO) and small data centers a cost-effective DR solution. Deduplication-enabled replication is fully supported in the plug-in when the backup is run with one or more “MIRROR TO STORE=” clause.
- Rapid restore of data for dependable, worry-free data: Protection HP StoreOnce appliances offer immediate access to backups for rapid restores. HP StoreOnce deduplication allows more data to be stored closer to the data center for longer periods of time, which offers immediate access for rapid restores. A lot of design considerations have gone into achieving high restore performance from the HP StoreOnce Backup systems. HP Data Assurance technology—adding checksums at key stages of the deduplication process enables very high levels of data integrity.
- Simplify and improve the backup process: HP StoreOnce appliances can back up multiple servers via a standard Ethernet or Fibre Channel (FC) network simultaneously to a disk-based solution at peak speeds of up to 137 TB/hr, for the largest appliance, meaning that substantially reduced backup windows are possible. HP StoreOnce appliances can be intuitively managed and configured using the browser-based administrative interface. HP StoreOnce systems are largely self-managing backup appliances that require little routine maintenance. Unlike other disk-based storage devices, HP StoreOnce systems do not require virus protection or LUN provisioning.
- Zero License Cost: No additional licensing cost for StoreOnce plugin and Catalyst as it comes with standard subscription of StoreOnce storage from HP.
Introducing HP StoreOnce Catalyst: HP StoreOnce Catalyst is a purpose-designed backup and recovery device type. It can be accessed over Ethernet or FC. StoreOnce Catalyst targets are recommended for large and complex data-protection environments where highest performance and flexibility of data movement is required. StoreOnce Catalyst can increase backup speeds and reduce backup load on the network by configuring distributed deduplication processing to enable operation in low-bandwidth mode. The same duplication-optimized data transmission enables highly efficient movement of backup data between StoreOnce appliances for added resiliency to potential data loss incidents.
HP StoreOnce Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server: HP StoreOnce Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server delivers control of MS SQL backup and disaster recovery, enabling DBAs to have confidence in self-administered recovery from the local or the DR site—without dependence on a backup administrator. In addition, the HP StoreOnce Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server provides accelerated backup performance over traditional CIFS disk targets. When used across large numbers of MS SQL application servers each performing source-side deduplication, the combined effect of distributing the deduplication processing enables faster backup throughput, provided the application servers themselves are sized correctly.
The below diagram shows the two modes of operations that underpin this technology when the plug-in is installed on the MS SQL Server. Referred to as target-side deduplication (high-bandwidth backup) or source-side deduplication (low-bandwidth backup), both modes feature intelligent MS SQL Server data processing where the format of the MS SQL Server backup stream is understood and optimized by the plug-in to increase space saving and backup speed. In target-side deduplication, all the deduplication processing takes place on the HP StoreOnce appliance with all the backup data transferred across the network. In source-side deduplication, (low-bandwidth mode) the majority of the deduplication process is performed on the MS SQL Server itself and only unique chunks of backup data are sent over the network to the HP StoreOnce appliance, with significant savings on network bandwidth. HP recommends using the low-bandwidth mode on Catalyst stores used with the HP StoreOnce Plug-in for MS SQL Server. Using low-bandwidth mode deliver significantly faster backup and improved space savings for many use cases.
.Diagram shows how the HP StoreOnce Plug-in for MS SQL Server works:
The HP StoreOnce Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server is supported on:
- Database servers: x64 versions of SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014
- Operating systems: x64 versions of Windows Server 2008 SP2, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 For backup to Catalyst device types:
- All StoreOnce appliances with StoreOnce 3.9 or newer software
For the latest compatibility information, please refer to hp.com/go/ebs.